Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Defining yourself as a healthy active INDIVIDUAL


Being married for just under 3 months my friends still warn me of the “newlywed ten” or the “first year fourteen,” they say that even I will gain weight and let myself go now that I am married.  

My first 10k race in 2008
8 months after I started running
But fitness and health are part of my identity, of who I am as an individual, and I will not lose that as I build my identity as a husband. 

I spent a great deal of my adult life single or dating, I was motivated to keep up my appearances, I was driven to keep myself busy and entertained, and I had the freedom to cook meals that served ME -no one else.  I spent my time rock climbing, rollerblading, killing WODs at CrossFit, and researching new paleo meals. 

Fitness and living well have become a part of who I am, and it can become a part of WHO YOU ARE too! 

Begin by adding something active to your life once a week. When I first got into fitness I started with running, it’s cheap and you can do it whenever is convenient for you.

Start off with a 5-10 minute warm up, increasing your intensity from easy to power walking pace.  Then jog for 1 minute and power walk for 5 minutes -repeat three times for a total of 18 minutes.  Wrap up with a 5 -10 minute cool down decreasing your intensity from power to easy walking. 

This is a great way to start and will only take about 30 minutes! Eventually you can try building up to a five-kilometer run, and guess what, you’ve already taken the first step to becoming an active healthy individual!

No comments:

Post a Comment